MEDIA       GROUPS       MEETINGS

Horsey Hundred Generates an Impressive Economic Impact on Scott County, KY.

Contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

GEORGETOWN, KY (January 12, 2017) – With the 40th annual Horsey Hundred in sight, the Georgetown/Scott County Tourism Commission reflected on the previous year’s event by conducting the 2016 Horsey Hundred Economic Impact Analysis. The first ever cycling event analysis was prepared by University of Kentucky’s Assistant Professor, Dr. Jason R. Swanson, who found that this two-day event contributed more than $623,000 in direct and in-direct expenditures throughout Georgetown and Scott County.

Horsey Hundred is a central Kentucky Bicycling Event and has been held in Georgetown since 1983. This event takes place on Memorial Day Weekend and features 30, 50, 66 & 100 mile rides in areas surrounding Georgetown, Kentucky. Riders from all over the country and internationally begin their route on the campus of Georgetown College and continue through some of Kentucky’s most scenic countryside.

The Economic Impact Analysis conducted by Tourism discovered that over 2,200 participants and 400 spectators arrived in Georgetown for the 2016 Horsey Hundred event. Event participants averaged $172.40 per person in direct spending in Scott County over the course of their stay, which included purchases at local shops and restaurants, as well as lodging expenses. Nearly 50% of the event participants stayed overnight in Scott County; thus averaged 60% of the county’s hotel room supply with the remaining 40% residing in Georgetown College dorm rooms.

“By conducting the Horsey Hundred Analysis, we hoped to shed a little light on the overall influence that events like this do for our small-town community,” Lori Saunders, Executive Director of Georgetown/Scott County Tourism, said. “We want to make our locals aware of the monetary advantages Georgetown receives after hosting such a fun event.”

Georgetown looks forward to another successful Horsey Hundred event on May 27 and 28. Registration for this year’s event opens Monday, January 16th. Complete event information can be found at www.horseyhundred.com.

 

###

 

 

<<< BACK TO ALL NEWS


dividerlight

 

CONTACT   /   RESOURCES   /   NEWS   /   MAP   /   BLOG

Georgetown / Scott County Tourism Bureau

 

UnbridledSpiritLogo KentuckyHorseParkLogo © 2017 Georgetown / Scott County Tourism Commission BluegrassRegionLogo KYProudLogo
   

Check out what travelers say about Georgetown on TripAdvisor.

Trip Advisor Review of Georgetown KY